Experiments in baking


I've been having the Captain save the carrot pulp from his morning juicing. Now, what to do with it? I made carrot muffins on Easter--it was pretty straightforward. But today I added it to the cake recipe I made for Izzy's first birthday, along with quite a bit of other additions. The base recipe I found here, and here are my modifications:

Puree 3 ripe bananas
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon (and a dash each of nutmeg, all spice and ground cloves)
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups shredded carrots
3/4 cup fava bean/garbonzo bean flour (Bob's Red Mill; for some added protein)
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup Good Life semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Blend the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately and then fold together. Scoop onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 12 minutes. 

I think they turned out really good! Which is kind of amazing because I just kind of made it up as I went along. 

No comments: