Overdue


I have been longing to write, but haven't had much free time lately that hasn't been filled with other things. Tonight I came home a little early so I could spend a bit of time on the lesson for Sunday School tomorrow. I got a message Wednesday night asking if I would teach (the person who was scheduled to teach broke his ankle and had to have surgery, poor guy!), of course I accepted. It's hard for me to turn those requests down.

I just finished reading through the material and the last couple verses really stood out to me:

"You know, brethren, that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves."

I love this verse--there is so much truth in the simple metaphor. It doesn't take much, just a good steering device to keep a boat from capsizing, but you have to know how to use the waves and the wind for your benefit to keep you above the surface. For any of you who have ever driven a boat on stormy waters, you know what I'm talking about. If you fight the storm, you are toast. If you use the storm, you will make it back to safety. I don't know why I love this so much, maybe because it's just ringing true for me. When we find ourselves in the midst of adversity, if we don't resist it, but use it...in the words of Elder Wirthlin, learn to say "come what may...and love it" then we can ride the wave of that adversity or trial to the safety of the shore.

"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."

I love feeling the power of the water underneath my boat, not harnessing it--for it cannot be controlled--but definitely using it and letting it carry me to where I need to go. If you give up, let go of the wheel and allow the rudder to go wild in the waves, you're sunk. But if you use the tools: the throttle, the steering system, the momentum and direction of the waves, the ride can and will be exhilarating.

Being a "boater" I guess this metaphor just really hits home for me. It makes sense. Adversity is not a option. If we want to get where we're going, then it is required that we face trials and tribulation. If we fight against it and resist it we will only end up frustrated and miserable. But, if we flow with it and use it for our benefit, cheerfully doing all in our power to ride it out and stay upright, then we will be able to stand still in the assurance of our salvation.

Doctrine & Covenants 123:16-17

3 comments:

jane said...

Thanks for sharing! What lesson are you on? We are going to have to share insights and ideas with each other because I am teaching now too!

Rolly Dupree said...

Hello,
I am Tim's Mom and I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your thoughts. You have some great insights and the lotus.... is by far the flower that amazes me the most, it's awsome. I have enjoyed reading your blogs, thanks for keeping them up.
Rolly

Kit said...

I am going to try to love my mailbox. Just the way it is; bricks All Over the Street. That and the other things "going wrong" right now in my life! Thanks for the reminder, Charity, and for your sunny disposition. It makes home a happier place!