"I Need the Wild"

That is what I read on the water bottle of a check-out girl at Trader Joe's today. Underneath it was the scripture reference Luke 5:16. I was so curious to find out how a scripture from Luke could be translated into needing the wild, so I looked it up when I came back to the office.

"And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed."

Peter, James, and John just forsook all to follow the Savior.

Jesus' "fame" was increasing in the land, becoming known for the power of his word and his ability to cast out devils. The people pressed on him.

He healed a leper and asked him to tell no man.

"But so much the more went there a fame abroad of him: and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by him of their infirmities."

So what did Jesus do? He withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.

It doesn't take much for me to imagine what that could be like, to be pressed upon by the multitude. Surrounded by so many in need. Each wanting Him to work a miracle to make their lives better or easier. I sit at my desk with a bundle of nervous energy between my shoulder blades--waiting for the next request, the next project, the next crisis--because here everything seems to be an emergency. I feel as though I am surrounded by need, though it is a much different kind.

He removed himself and prayed. Regrounded in the wilderness. And then he went right back to teaching and healing. Lifting and blessing.

Maybe it doesn't make the need go away. Maybe it just creates more. Even so, there is a lesson here that I need to learn. I need the wild.

1 comment:

Matt Clayton said...

Love this. Thanks for sharing, Charity.