Run, run, as fast as you can...


A couple weeks ago, my brother and his cute wifey entrusted me with the care of their little ones while they were in Puerto Rico for six days. I absolutely loved the time I got to spend with the adorable sprouts (I did get some help from Liz's sister, but had four solid days with no breaks ;). I'm kind of proud of myself).

I'm sure my family all knows this as I don't hide things well and can easily be read like a book, but not because I talk about it ever, because I don't--ever. I don't want to be one of those 30-somethings who complains about not being married and my biological clock ticking like a time bomb. BUT, truth be told...I cannot wait to have some of my own. When I awoke Tuesday morning in my own bed, I was kind of bummed that I had to wake up to my alarm instead of Avery calling out "Chaety....Chaety..." or Quincey's cute face popping up over her crib rails and I really missed the morning snuggle with her rolly-polly babiness. I won't lie, the week was hard work! My hat really goes off to you moms! Especially my friends whose breadwinners work long hours and travel most of the time. Holy cow you are all amazing! Playing mommy by myself for a few days taught me a ton.

Realization #1...Never turn your back on a potty-training 3-year-old, or 3-year-old in general, or you might find her finger painting with you know what or climbing in the crib with the napping 1-year-old or climbing on the counter to play sandbox with a whole can of formula...

Rule #2...Be prepared to read a new favorite book a bazillion times. After the 100th reading of the Gingerbread Man, Avery was running around the house singing, "run, run afassas you can. You ca' ca' meee, I'm da (mumble mumble) man!"

Realization #3...I want a small house when I have little kids. One big play room with lots of storage and a tall desk for me to do some work at, a couple bedrooms and a kitchen. Nothing extra. I don't know how you moms get anything done. Really. Oh, I also decided that I want to put the TV in the kitchen so my kids will actually sit there and eat. Is that bad?

Realization #4...The cure for a lead foot is precious cargo. I didn't even mind that cars were passing me on the road. I followed every traffic rule and probably even added a few of my own.
Realization #5...My SIL and brother have done a fabulous job raising these girls. My mom, bless her heart, agreed to help me take the girls to the big city for a friend's gallery opening. Afterward we took them over to Temple Square to have a chance to run around before getting back in the car. In the temple visitors center, I was following Avery around the exhibit about prophets in the basement--running from life-size replica of Moses to Isaiah to Joseph Smith (whom she called "daddy" when she first saw him, with her eyes all bright) to the video of President Monson, the current prophet. There she pointed and watched the clip slightly mezmorized. We walked into another section for a bit, then she turned to me and said, "Wanna go see d' propet?" and led me back into the other section to listen to me tell her the names of all of the prophets again so she could repeat them. Seriously, it was one of the cutest things I ever heard. "Chaety. Wanna go see d' propet?"

Realization #6...Make sure the kids get a nap on days you feed them ice cream.

Realization #7...when you tell your kids that Jesus loves them, they may think that means the 20 foot marble Christus really wants them to climb on him :). They don't really get the whole "keep off of Jesus" thing.

Realization #7...those kisses are some of the best.

2 comments:

chloe said...

Isn't it the best when they start saying your name and they just can't quite pronounce...and you kind of hope that they'll never totally get it? I love being "Auntie Cwo Cwo". It's my favorite!

They are darling!

Anonymous said...

the sandbox formula.....priceless!

The kisses, truly priceless! You are going to be such a fantastic mommy....