Happily Ever After


This week has been particularly hard, which I hate even saying because my challenges are so small compared to what some of my friends are experiencing, and I imagine that as life progresses those challenges will only get more complex and intricate. But for now and for me, it's just been a bit hard.
I have found that listening to General Conference talks on my way to work really helps to buffer the effects of life--especially the noise of the city and the bijillion different vibes from my fellow Metro commuters--and serves as a reminder of what's really important. Today, I listened to the talk President Uchtdorf gave to the Young Women in May. It was kind of exactly what I needed to hear. Between the Once Upon a Time and the Happily Ever After there's a whole lot of life that has to be endured and overcome. I'm not sure what I thought being engaged would feel like, but it wasn't this. In the words of Tim, "being engaged is not fun."
"Why must we all experience sadness and tragedy? Why could we not live in bliss and peace, each day filled with wonder, joy, and love? .... "The scriptures tell us that there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter."
As I wander somewhere in between the once upon a time and the happily ever after it's easy to feel a little lost and lonely, carried only by hope in the promise of a happily ever after, which I am fairly confident doesn't come in this life--at least not completely. But there is a promise, which I am fairly confident, God intends to keep.

No comments: