The Long & Winding Road

My inner marketer/graphic designer LOVES benefit cosmetics and always will. It's not just the pretty packaging and clever names, but the capability of the products to truly "make up" a face without looking "made up".

You Rebel has always seemed good to my sensitive skin, not inducing breakouts, making me look a little sun kissed when I need it and sometimes when I don't. moon beam  is the perfect highlighter, gives just a little glisten on my cheekbones. My victim-of-the-90s-over-plucked eyebrows would definitely not be the same without brow zings. I mean, these cosmetics have been in my life for so long they could almost be considered friends. In an inanimate, creepy sort of way.

And there's that saying that ugh is stuck in my mind, if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all...? And I really don't want to say anything bad about benefit or any other cosmetic company for that matter.

BUT...there's been something gnawing at me for a long time, probably my whole adult life, but the intensity of the chewing is increasing of late. (Maybe it's living in this city, walking down really dirty streets through vehicle exhaust and second hand smoke, where the rain only makes everything from the waist up look clean and from the waist down it's all soggy garbage and rehydrated dogpoop residue. Don't get me wrong, there are MANY many other things I love about New York, just not the aforementioned.) Gnawing. Prodding. Shoving me to detoxify. As much as humanly possible.

It's just too often taken for granted. We trust too much that manufacturers and big business people have our best interest at heart rather than their wallets. Ugh. It's just not always the case and the capability of the product to do what it's supposed to is not the only factor to consider. It is important to be a well-informed consumer.

I really appreciated this post on Sprout's blog (Sprout is a really cool, local, all-natural, Brooklyn-based skin care company) about parabens.  She really puts it into perspective. Blasted hormone disruptors are in everything. I don't really want extra yuck in my body or my home, but saying and doing something about it are separated by a chasm, three-fold.

Number One. The cost of all-natural, organic, free-range, grass-fed when it comes from a store. It's all quite on trend right now and therefore quite spendy. I've been researching ways to make my own cosmetics and cleaners and there are a ton of recipes and tutorials out there. Some that I am definitely going to try. Others that are just as bad and the rest. So it takes quite a bit of research...

Number Two. The time it will take to be truly committed to an all-natural home. Or even a partially natural home, because let's be honest, I'm not going so far as to have only 100% organic, all-natural carpet or cabinets or clothing. That's just not going to happen. But even to do the things that I really want to do. Like grown an organic garden. Raise chickens. Keep bees. And not in New York City. This all is a long-term project that is going to take time and commitment...

Number 3. I married a man who just doesn't really care that much about it. He's in great health and has never felt a need to question his regime. This is not a slight to the Captain. Just the truth. I'm on my own in this. And that in itself is a challenge because I have to think twice as hard about how to present things so that he'll see them as really good ideas. Which usually involves how much money we're going to save. Which also means that it will need to be homemade, handcrafted, or homegrown. That's how you save the big bucks. See number one.

Meanwhile, as I wait for the money and time to start flowing in and freeing up, my You Rebel is clearly running out, as are a few other favorites and I find myself at a crossroads. I can either buy my go-to or try something new. Since I'm not quite ready to make my own foundation OR spend a fortune AND I really am serious about change, I did a little research. Okay, maybe more than a little. I decided to try Physicians Formula Organic Wear tinted moisturizer.

For $13.95 in stores or $8.95+shipping online, it was worth looking up every ingredient. The only two ingredients that seem to be a concern are iron oxides and titanium dioxide (where the SPF comes from) both of which are a concern because of nano-particles and respiratory toxicity. Their fumes are suspected toxicity hazards. Since this product is in a liquid state, I'm not as concerned about these ingredients.

Today is my first day and so far so good. It has a nice clean smell and provides good coverage for a tinted moisturizer. I felt really good throwing away the last of my You Rebel and my Pop Bronzer (I replaced it with the Organic Wear bronzer) and a couple other MAC products that were running out and I won't be replacing.

My road to a more natural home may be long and winding, but it's one that I think will be worth it.

*Update. After a few weeks of use, I can now give a better assesment.

Coverage: Light. so an all natural concealer would come in handy for any eye bags and that ruddiness that tends to be around my nose in the mornings.
Cons: I have noticed that my face gets a little more oily in the afternoon than it did before. I wish it didn't have the SPF chemicals. I'd much rather add my own sunscreen when I need it.
Pros: I haven't had any abnormal breakouts and it's low on the harmful scale.

No comments: